In my opinion there are four general types of people during Valentine's Day: The Single Lady/Man, The New Couple, The Long Term Lovers, and The Engaging Couple. These are basically self explanatory. The single lady/man may just be getting out of a relationship, possibly hates or avoids this holiday, or may just not be looking for anyone. The New Couple in my opinion is anywhere from 0-6 months (different time frames for different people). They are still fresh, in the "getting to know each other" stage, and have a lot to learn in the process. The Long Term Lovers are of course the couples that have been together for a long period of time. This isn't their first V-Day together. Last but not least there is the couple in the "Engaging" stage (yes I made this up lol). This refers to the guys getting ready to propose to their girls, and the girls who will be receiving a proposal.
I've come up with different ideas and activities that can help you take your Valentine's Day to the next level regardless of which category pertains to you. You don't want to keep doing the same thing year after year, so if you don't have any plans you should try something from this list that you've never done before! If you're booed up this year, try something you AND your partner have never tried. You'll have fun learning something new together!
Now I say Single Ladies only because most single guys probably don't care whether they have something to do for Valentine's Day or not... They just wanna know if they're getting some #letsbehonest lol. However, women act more on emotion and majority of them HATE Valentine's Day if they're single. So if you are, try these:
- Play some "f*ck him" music, throw on your shades, and ride out. Nothing is better than fresh air and time to yourself. I recommend some "Irreplaceable" or "Single Ladies" by Beyonce'... They always make me feel good :)
- Call up your other single friends and have a sleepover. Sounds childish, but it would be fun! Instead of going for the tear jerker movies, pop in R. Kelly's Concert DVD or Beyonce's I AM WORLD TOUR DVD and sing at the top of your lungs. You could even get your girls together to play the Wii and play the Michael Jackson game. At the end of the night, you'll be having so much fun you'll forget what day it is!
- Treat yourself to the hair or nail salon. No one should ever come before you. Show yourself how much love you have for her ;)
- Go to dinner where free wine samples are given. You'll leave with a buzz and a full stomach! If you have another single friend or a single male bff, make them go to dinner with you. You two can look at all the couples in the restaurant and judge which ones you think will make it and which won't!
The New Couple
The New Couple needs to partake in something that involves you two getting to know each other more. At this point in the relationship you probably know a lot about each other, but could stand to learn much more. Avoid going to places like the movies that don't give you the opportunity to talk. Check out these ideas below for an ideal date for you two:
- Take a cooking class. Or even fix a lunch together and eat during a drive-thru movie. This will give you two the chance to snuggle up close, catch a movie, and learn more about each other all at once. A cooking class can reveal how well you bond and the amount of teamwork you two are willing to put forth when you have to work together.
- Go shopping together and let the other pick out an outfit they want you to get. As a gift you can buy each other the outfit you picked, and make sure your partner wears it. This will help you two figure out what styles you like for each other and how you can incorporate what you both like into one.
- Get tickets to a show together. Doesn't matter if it's a Kevin Hart comedy show, a Trey Songz concert, or an art gala. Physically go get the tickets together, and during the ride figure out what shows your partners has been to in the past and who their favorite entertainers are. Then enjoy the show with the tickets you purchase.
- Go ice skating. I can't ice skate at all, so this would be the perfect opportunity for my guy to catch me when I fall *tsk tsk*... Not only is it fun, but you'll get plenty of laughs after busting your *ss so many times. Then you can give each other massages to ease the pain from the falls! ;)
The Long Term Lovers
The Long Term Lovers are the couples that have been together for so long, they basically know their partner like the back of their hands. These couples have probably spent year after year together for Valentine's Day. Well instead of going with the normal annual routine, try something different to spice up your day!
- Fix breakfast together and eat it in bed. First of all, cooking together in the kitchen is super sexy. Add to that by taking your breakfast for two to the bedroom. Make sure you include some type of fruit with your breakfast just in case the meal turns into something else!
- Get his & hers massages. While there, learn what spots make your partner weak, and use those same techniques when you get home!
- Try a ballroom dancing class together. I would recommend one of the sexier dance classes like salsa. This will be fun and probably get you both in the mood for later activities.
- Use edible body paint (check here) and use your partner as the art piece. Once your masterpiece is complete, you can use your mouth to remove the paint yourself ;)
- Play strip twister. Use the regular rules but instead, shed a piece of clothing after each round. Imagine the positions you'll end up in throughout the game!
The "Engaging" Couple consists of the guy who is proposing to his girl, and the woman being proposed to. For this section, I have included different ideas for all the bosses out there to step it up with their proposal. Think outside the box with this one, this moment has to be perfect in HER eyes, so give her something to be wide-eyed about!
- This sounds corny but leave her notes throughout the day leading her to different gifts hidden throughout the house. Make the very last gift her ring with a final note asking for her hand in marriage. It will be like a scavenger hunt. Make the prior gifts pretty good ones so she won't expect that there's a ring at the end of the line.
- Propose at the place where you first met or where you had your first date. Don't do it at a regular dinner when she would most expect it. Catch her off guard.
- Send her to get her hair or nails done then show up and pop the question. She may not have on her flyest outfit when it's done, but I guarantee she'll get the surprise of her life. Plus, she'll love the fact that it was done in a room full of gossiping women!
At the end of the day, Valentine's Day is about spending it with the one you love (or maybe don't love). You should try to impress your partner by doing things you've never done before. Nothing will let them know you care about them more than you actually showing them. The best gift you could ever give your loved one is your heart and your quality time. Make it all about them this year!