Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Be The Change You Want To See!

Darius McMillan & Ronwyn Pritchett of FAME

I LIVE for seeing people doing positive things with their lives, especially when it comes to helping our youth. Not too often do you see young adults trying to make a difference, and even less often are they young men. I saw this in my local newspaper yesterday and couldn't help but to put out there what these young men are doing for the young boys in Richmond, VA.  

I went to high school with Ronwyn Pritchett, he graduated two years after me. He went on to play football at the University of Richmond when he graduated, but suffered an injury that ceased his football career. He launched a mentoring group called Future American Men of Excellence (FAME) which targets 8th grade boys at a local high school in Richmond. Ronwyn and 24 young men mentor 15-27 8th grade boys twice a week, hoping to help them make good decisions for their futures.

They focus on the importance of education and how vital it is to succeeding in life. Ronwyn tells his story to these boys of how he wasn't focused in 8th grade and ended up in alternate school. Once he transferred to my high school, he began to focus on sports but was told that his grades were not good enough to be accepted into college. He then went to summer school to make up his classes, and finished high school with a 3.0 GPA and graduated with honors!

I'm really proud to say that I know him, because TOO MANY young men think that all they need is to be good in sports to get into college. Too often do I see talented, athletic young men being looked over for great college opportunities because their grades aren't good enough. I honestly think they're not aware of how important that is. So for these mentors to be putting the message out there is big! They hope to expand this to more middle schools in the future, and I really hope this grows for them. It feels good knowing there are actually young men out there trying to help one another, rather than kill and tear each other down.

You can check out the full article at The Martinsville Bulletin to get the full details of this story. Big ups to all the young men trying to better themselves as well as others!

XOXO,
LaBellaBoss <3

3 comments:

  1. That's my dog!! in my "smokey voice"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see people doing great things in the Community!! Love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know too many out there that still care. BIG shout out to the fellas who really care.

    ReplyDelete