Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Rihanna the Rockstar vs. Rihanna the Role Model



Ohhhh Rihanna! Lol I told ya'll I start every post about her with that phrase! Whether you smoke or not, you have to love this girl for always staying true to the real her and not pretending to be something she's not. Rihanna was recently vacationing in Hawaii, and was caught by the paps smoking what seems to be a blunt. Ever since these pics flooded the internet, Rihanna has been the face of much ridicule, but on the other hand some people respect her even more.

I've been reading different celebrity blogs and when I'm on different sites I ALWAYS read the comment section. They are hilarious! But at the same time you find that commenters can be very judgmental as well. Now I am a very open minded person, and I don't judge anyone... blame it on my Aquarius sign *shrugs*. So as I was reading the comments I noticed that people were saying that Rihanna shouldn't be doing this because she's a role model to kids etc etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are lots of young girls who do look up to Rihanna, but let's be real it's not her job to be a role model.

When I think of Rihanna, I think of a rockstar and rockstar only. Yes I love her fashion sense, and I love her I don't give a f*ck attitude, but do I look up to her? Umm no. Shoot I just want to take Melissa's spot as her bff that's all lol. But seriously, for people to say that she shouldn't be doing this (in what she thought was the privacy of her hotel), all because she is supposed to be a role model is absurd. We as a society need to stop uplifting celebrities making them seem like role models when they're not. At the end of the day, they're normal people just like us, they might get paid way more but they're still human. They are in no way obligated to be a certain way to please the public. Especially when Rihanna has always let it be known that she's not trying to be a role model, hell she just wants to live her 23 year young life.

I could see if she was out in the open walking down the street smoking a blunt, but she wasn't. She was by herself away from the public, and the paps just so happened to have spotted her. Now when Miley Cyrus was caught smoking weed, I feel like that's a little different. She became known worldwide through Disney as Hannah Montana so yes I think she has a certain role model image to live up to. But even with her, she's a growing teenager who will experiment with different things... and you know what? It's HER life. Who are we to judge either when half of us are no different?

How do you feel about this whole situation? Do you think celebrities like Rihanna/Miley Cyrus need to maintain a "good girl" role so young girls will have someone to look up to? I'm sorry but I don't think I would have my daughter looking up to Rihanna. If you MUST have them looking up to a celebrity, there are plenty that are worthy. Try Oprah, Beyonce', Keke Palmer etc. These are the ones who exhibit that good girl role all the time. Leave a comment and let us know your thoughts!

XOXO,
LaBellaBoss ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment